Monday 23 May 2016

Did someone press fast-forward?

Have you ever had one of those weeks where you feel like you just pulled your pants on and then before you've blinked you're doing it all over again because a day has entirely disappeared? If you answered yes, then you have my sincere empathy - it's as if we're sprinting just to keep up with the progress on our new home at the minute!

It's suddenly all coming to a head with workmen visiting almost every day to quote us for one thing or another and myself and D chasing our tails trying to keep on top of who is who and what it is they are actually coming to do. Note to self: the name Gary is very common amongst building/handyman types - I think we have 3 of them doing various things. Makes keeping track that extra bit more tricky!

Twice this week I've arrived home to find D falling asleep where he sits and my own lids become heavier every day. Admittedly it has become a bit like groundhog day. We get up and go to work, come back and work on the house, make sure all of the animals are happy, go to bed, get up and do it all again. I think when you watch those home renovation programmes you see people jumping from one disaster to the next with crumbling brickwork and bursting pipes and you think 'good grief that must be stressful and tiring', but we're finding it's the daily grind, the never-a-moment-goes-by-without-thinking-breathing-doing-it that really eats at your motivation.

Thankfully, we have the ever-present visual reminders that all the hard work we are putting in is really paying off.
BEFORE

AFTER

The Garden has witnessed a huge transformation, once the lawn goes in and the veg beds are sorted, it will be almost unrecognisable. The new fence looks a bit stark and unsightly right now, but it will weather in and when I have things growing up it, it will look like it's been there all along. The most important thing is that it will keep my gazelle of a dog from leaping into next door's garden.

All of the carpets have been ripped out of the house and, for the first time really, I can see how it's going to look when we're living in it. I took one look at the garden when we went to view it and knew instantly how I would set it out, but the interior has taken a bit of time. All of a sudden I can see light fittings and wall colours and shelves and all of our things in their rightful place. Honestly, as exhausted as I am, I'm way, way more excited!

Every step reveals a renewed energy and motivation. You can feel the walls begging for their first lick of paint in years and the original floorboards squealing at the thought of being polished up and walked on in bare feet. It's like the house is breathing again after holding her breath all this time.

Did I tell you she has a name, the house? Our new home is called 'The Keep'.

Come rain or shine it'll still be mine.

G






No comments:

Post a Comment